Civil War Regiments
Return to Military Index

History of Noble County, 18822, by Goodspeed and Blanchard

The regiments which contained a number of men from Noble County
were the Thirtieth, Forty-fourth, Seventy-fourth, Eighty-eighth, One Hundredth, One Hundred and Twenty-ninth, One Hundred and Thirty-ninth, One Hundred and Forty-second, One Hundred and Fifty-second, Seventh Cavalry and Twelfth Cavalry.

The Thirtieth Indiana Infantry, organized at Fort Wayne,  was at first commanded by Col. Sion S. Bass. It first moved to Indianapolis, thence to Camp Nevin, Ky., thence to Munfordsville and Bowling Green, and in March, 1862, to Nashville. It participated in the battle of Shiloh on the 7th of April, losing its colonel, who was succeeded by Col. J. B. Dodge. Here the regiment lost in killed, wounded and missing about 130 men. It participated in the siege of Corinth, and moved with Buell's army through northern Alabama, Tennessee and Kentucky, and also pursued Bragg. It took part in the three days' battle at Stone River, losing heavily; and also at Chattanooga and Chickamauga, suffering severely at the latter place. It was in the campaign against Atlanta, fighting in all the battles. At Atlanta it was consolidate into a residuary battalion of seven companies, under command of Col. H. W. Lawton. It fought against Hood at Nashville, and pursued him to Huntsville, thence moved into east Tennessee. In June, 1865, it was transferred to Texas. It was mustered out of service late in 1865.

The Forty-fourth, with H. B. Reed as colonel, moved to Indianapolis in December, 1861, thence to Henderson, Ky., thence to Camp Calhoun, thence to Fort Henry, thence to Fort Donelson, in which battle it suffered severely. It moved to Pittsburg Landing, and fought both days at Shiloh, losing thirty-three and one hundred and seventy-seven wounded. It fought often at the siege of Corinth, and pursued the enemy to Booneville. It moved with Buell and followed Bragg, fighting at Perryville. It skirmished at Russell's Hill, moved to Stone River, where it fought three days, losing eight killed, fifty-two wounded and twenty-five missing. It moved to Chattanooga, fought at Chickamauga, fought at Mission Ridge, losing in these engagements three killed, fifty-nine wounded and twenty missing. It did provost duty at Chattanooga, and was finally mustered out September, 1865. During the war it lost three hundred and fifty killed and wounded, and fifty-eight by disease. William C. Williams, Simeon C. Aldrich and James F. Curtis were its colonels at times.

The Seventy-fourth, in August, 1862, moved to Louisville, Ky., thence to Bowling Green. It pursued Bragg, and reached Gallatin on the10th of November. Companies C and K joined the regiment in December. Before this these companies skirmished at Munfordsville, and with Bragg's advance on the 14th. Were captured, paroled and then joined the regiment. The regiment pursued Morgan, moved to Gallatin, Nashville, Lavergne, Triune, moved against Tullahoma, and skirmished at Hoover's Gap. It joined the campaign against Chattanooga, skirmished at Dug Gap, Ga. It was one of the first engaged at Chickamauga, and was the last to leave the field. It lost twenty killed, one hundred and twenty-nine wounded and eleven missing. It skirmished continuously at the siege of Chattanooga, and in the charge on Mission Ridge lost two killed and sixteen wounded. It pursued the enemy to Ringgold, Ga., participated in the reconnaissance on Buzzard's Roost, marched with Sherman on the Atlanta campaign, skirmishing and fighting at Dallas, Kenesaw and Lost Mountain, Peach Tree Creek, and many other places about Atlanta. It lost in this campaign forty-six men. It charged the enemy's works at Jonesboro, Ga., and lost thirteen killed and forty wounded. Many of the latter Died . It pursued Hood, and skirmished at Rocky Creek Church. It moved to North Carolina, and finally home via Washington, D. C.

The Eighty-eighth took the field in August, 1862. It defended Louisville against Kirby Smith, pursued Bragg, fought at Perryville and Stone River, doing splendid work at the latter battle, losing eight killed and forty-eight wounded. It fought or skirmished at Hoover's Gap, Tullahoma, Hillsboro, Elk River and Dug Gap, Ga. It fought desperately at Chickamauga, fought "among the clouds" on Lookout Mountain, charged at Mission Ridge, skirmished at Graysville and Ringgold. In the Atlanta campaign it was engaged at Buzzard's Roost, Resaca, Dallas, Kenesaw Mountain, Peach Tree Creek, and Atlanta and Utay Creek, It pursued Hood, marched with Sherman to the sea, campaigned through The Carolinas, fought at Bentonville, and moved home via Richmond and Washington, D. C.

The One Hundredth, in November, 1862, took the field at Memphis, Tenn.; moved on the unsuccessful Vicksburg campaign; did garrison duty at Memphis and vicinity; participated in the siege of Vicksburg, and then in the five days' siege of Jackson. It moved to Vicksburg, thence to Memphis, thence to Stevenson and Bridgeport, thence to Trenton, Ga. It fought at Lookout Mountain, and then moved to Chattanooga. It fought at Mission Ridge, losing in killed and wounded one hundred and thirty-two men. It pursued Bragg's army; relieved Burnside at Knoxville; moved on the Atlanta campaign, fighting at Dalton, Snake Creek Gap, Resaca, Dallas, New Hope Church, Big Shanty, Kenesaw Mountain, Nickajack Creek, Chattahoochie River, Decatur, Atlanta, Cedar Bluffs, Jonesboro and Lovejoy Station, fighting almost continuously for one hundred days. It pursued Hood, joined the famous march to the sea, fought at Griswoldville, Ga., and Bentonville, N. C., than moved home via Richmond and Washington, D. C. The regiment fought in twenty-five battles.

The One Hundred and Twenty-ninth moved to Nashville, Tenn., April, 1864, hence to Charleston, Tenn. It fought at Dalton, Resaca, skirmished for nearly two weeks through the woods and defiles near there, fought gallantly and lost heavily at Decatur, engaged the enemy at Strawberry Run, losing twenty-five killed and wounded. It pursued Hood, moved to the assistance of General Thomas, skirmished heavily at Columbia, and fought desperately at Franklin, one of the bloodiest battles of the war; fought in the two days' battle against General Hook, and joined in the pursuit. It then moved via Cincinnati and Washington, D. C., to Morehead City, thence to Newbern, and finally to Wise's Forks, where it had a severe engagement with the enemy. It moved to Goldsboro, Morley Hall, Raleigh and Charlotte, where it was mustered out of service in August, 1865.

The One Hundred and Thirty-ninth entered the service at Indianapolis, June, 1864. It moved to Nashville, Tenn., and was assigned to garrison and provost duty in the towns and along the railroads, and, in general, was required to guard Sherman's base of supplies. At the expiration of one hundred days the regiment left the service.

The One Hundred and Forty-second entered the service in November, 1864. It moved to Nashville, where it was assigned garrison duty. At the battle of Nashville the regiment was in reserve. After this, and until it was mustered out, it remained at Nashville.

The One Hundred and Fifty-second entered the service in March, 1865, moving to Harper's Ferry, in the vicinity of which place it was assigned garrison duty. It was stationed for short periods at Charlestown, Stevenson Station, Summit Point and Clarksburg, where it was mustered out in August, 1865.

The Seventh Cavalry took the field in December, 1863. It moved to Louisville, thence to Union City, Tenn. It skirmished at Paris, Egypt Station and near Okalona, fighting severely all day at the latter place. In one charge it left sixty of its men on the field. During the entire fight it lost eleven killed, thirty-six wounded and thirty-seven missing. It moved to Memphis, and finally to the support of Sherman's base of supplies. At Guntown, Miss., a desperate battle ensued, the regiment being driven back with a loss of eight killed, fifteen wounded and seventeen missing. It was highly complimented by General Grierson, notwithstanding the defeat. It fought at La Mavoo, Miss., and near Memphis, where seven members of Company F were killed by guerrillas. After this it joined in the pursuit of General price; moved with General Grierson on his famous raid, fighting and destroying rebel property. It moved down into Louisiana and Texas, and finally, late in 1865, was mustered out.

The Twelfth Cavalry (Company B) was organized at Kendallville during the winter of 1863 and spring of 1864, Edward Anderson, colonel. It first moved to Nashville, thence to Huntsville, Ala. Here and vicinity it remained, chastising guerrillas and bushwhackers. A portion was not mounted; the others were and were commanded by Lieut. Col. Alfred Reed. Many men were lost in the numerous engagements. After this the regiment moved to Brownsboro, thence to Tullahoma, where they watched General Forrest. Here it had several skirmishes. Companies C, D and H participated in the defense of Huntsville. The regiment fought at Wilkinson's Pike, Overall's Creek and before Murfreesboro, spent the winter of 1864-65 at Nashville, embarked for Vicksburg, participated in the movements on Mobile, Ala., and joined in the raid of General Grierson. It occupied Columbus, Miss., Grenada, Austin and other points, guarding Federal stores and positions. It was mustered out of service at Vicksburg in November, 1865.