from History Of Northeast Indiana were copied and submitted by Arlene Goodwin.
Adair John W When John W. Adair was elected member of the County
Board of Commissioners of Noble County on November 5, 1918, to represent
the Southern District, he received the support of a large majority of his
neighbors and old friends, who respected his integrity of character, his good
business ability and judgment, and his long standing as a successful farmer in
the county. Mr. Adair, whose farm
of 160 acres lies in sections 18 and 19 in Noble Township, was born in
Washington Township of the same county, February 1, 1868, son of John N. and Christina
(Bashford) Adair, both natives of Ohio. The respective families came to
Noble County, Indiana, at an early day, and John and Christina were married and
then settled on a farm in Washington Township. Later they lived for a time in
Wisconsin, but on returning to Indiana settled in Noble Township, where they
spent the rest of their days. John
Adair was active in the republican party and at one time served as justice of
the peace in Whitley County. He and his wife were members of the Methodist
Church. there were four sons in the family: William, of Whitley County; Thomas
of Whitley County, Edwin L., of Albion, and John W. John W Adair grew up on his father’s farm, and received the advantages
of the district school to the age
of sixteen. He then continued to
live at home with his parents until he was twenty-one, and on March 31, 1894, he
established a home of his own by his marriage to Ella E. Knapp. She was also
born in Washington Township. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Adair bought a farm in Washington Township, but after seven years
bought their present home in Noble Township. They have been greatly prospered as
farmers and in 1915 they completed a modern country home. Mr. Adair is also a director in the Wolf Creek Bank and a stockholder in
the Cromwell-Sparta State Bank. He and his wife are member of the Baptist Church
and he on its finance committee. Mr.
and Mrs. Adair have four children: Merle, a student in Wolf Lake High School;
Helen F., also a high school girl; and Joseph and Donald, both attending grade
Baughman John A
Some of the best land of Noble County is in Noble Township, so there also
are found some of the best and most progressive farmers.
One of them is John A. Baughman, who has lived in that locality for over
forty years, and though he started life with practically no capital, he has make
good in every sense of the word and is now owner of one of the excellent places
in his locality. Mr. Baughman was born in Richland County, Ohio, November 26, 1855,
a son of Gideon and Margaret (Swiggart) Baughman. The Baughmans originally came
from Germany and were early settlers in the colony of Virginia. Gideon Baughman
was a son of Henry and Susan (Trumbull) Baughman. Margaret Swiggart was a
daughter of John and Barbara Swiggart, early residents of Stark County, Ohio.
John Swiggart was born in 1779 and served as a captain in the War of 1812
and was the first school teacher in Monroe Township of Richland County, Ohio.
Gideon Baughman, and wife were reared and married in Ohio, the former being a
native of Ashland County and the latter of Stark County.
They lived there for many years and in 1876 moved to Noble County,
Indiana, spending the rest of their lives in this county.
They were members of the Lutheran Church. The father was a Democrat. Of
six children two are still living: Susan,
widow of Archie Collins, living in Ohio, and John A. The four deceased were Michael, Martin L., Henry M. and
Elizabeth, the latter the wife of John Oller. John A. Baughman spent the first twenty years of his life in his
native county in Ohio and was educated in the common schools. Soon after he came
to Noble County he married on August 19, 1877, Melissa J. Rivir.
She was born in Noble County, April 19, 1861, and was educated in the
common schools. After their
marriage Mr. and Mrs. Baughman rented his father’s farm until his means had
increased as a result of their mutual thrift and industry to a point where he
could buy the farm, and he has spent practically all his adult life in this one
locality. Mr. and Mrs. Baughman had three children. Clyde, the oldest,
completed the work of the common schools and also attended Valparaiso College
and Hillsdale College in Michigan, and is now a railroad employee.
Chauncey, a graduate of the common schools and of Valparaiso College, is
a farmer and teacher in Noble Township. Iva,
who is the wife of Floy Stureman, of Noble Township, also attended Valparaiso
and Terre Haute colleges. Mr.
Baughman has been quite active in the affairs of the democratic party in his
locality. He is engaged in general
farming and the livestock business and has 88 ½ acres, all of which he manages
with a high degree of productiveness.
Bender C W One of the best improved farms in York Township of Noble County is that
owned by C. W. Bender in section 20 and 29. Mr. Bender has lived there
practically all his life, and has succeeded beyond the ordinary as a farmer and
stock raiser, and also as a capable citizen and worker in his community. He was born in the house where he is still living July 1, 1870, son
of John E. and Evaline (Lafevre) Bender. John
E. Bender, his father, was born in Chester County, Pennsylvania, March 4, 1815.
He was left an orphan at the age of seven and for the next ten years lived as a
bound boy with Samuel McClintock. During that time he had no opportunity to
attend school, and was given a mere living, and left his employer with only an
old suit of clothes. He then went to work on a salary, and the first year
received only $8. a month. His
wife, Evaline Lafevre, was born in Tennessee. In 1868 they settled in Noble
County, Indiana. John E.
Bender and wife had four children: Charles W.; Myra, deceased wife of Samuel
DePew; John A., a farmer in York Township; and Joseph, who died in infancy. Charles W. Bender grew up on the old farm in York Township and had
a district school education. For many years he has been a general farmer,
and now owns 200 acres of land. He
is also a breeder of Belgian horses and has several pure blooded animals of that
strain. He had done much shipping of live stock in past years. Mr.
Bender was a charter member and one of the solicitors for the stock at the
organization of the Kimmell State Bank and became one of its first directors.
February 11, 1892, Mr. Bender married Miss Nancy E. Kiester. She
was born in Washington Township of Noble County. They were happily married
twenty-five years, and Mrs. Bender passed away November 7, 1917. She was the
mother of three children: Ermal,born
April 9, 1894, is a graduate of high school and attended Goshen College and is
now the wife of Dr. Homer Hiatt, serving with the rank of first
lieutenant in the Medical Cops of the United States Army. Cecil, born,
December 7, 1895, is also a high school graduate and is the wife of Ralph Denny,
an attorney. Carl, born July 22,
1902, had finished the common school course. Mr. Bender also has two
grandchildren. He is a member of the Christian Church, as was his wife.
He is past noble grand of Kimmell Lodge No. 773 of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, has sat in the Grand Lodge, and his wife was active as a grand
of the Rebecca Lodge and also represented her lodge in the Grand Lodge.
Ditmars Edwin of Swan Township, Noble County, has lived a most useful life, is a
prosperous farmer and citizen of his community, and has been known in this
section of Noble County from earliest boyhood to the present time. Mr.
Ditmars was born in Ashland County, Ohio, December 10, 1850, a son of Henry and
Catherine (Lybarger) Ditmars, the former a native of New Jersey and the latter
of Ashland County, Ohio. Henry Ditmars was a son of Abram and Cornelia (Striker)
Ditmars, who were pioneer settlers in Holmes County, Ohio, where they spent
their last days. Henry Ditmars was
one of a family of eight sons and two daughters.
From Holmes County he moved to Ashland County, married there,
and in 1853 brought his family to a farm in Swan Township, Noble County. In the
community he and his wife spent their last years.
Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he
was one of the local leaders in the republican party.
Of eleven children six are
still living: Elizabeth, wife of William Lawrence; Cecelia, wife of Henry
Bloxson; Edwin; Henry, of Churubusco; Elmer E., a farmer of Swan Township; and
Emmett, of Fort Wayne. Edwin Ditmars grew up on the
old farm in Swan Township and secured those advantages to be had in the local
district schools. His life was at home and with his parents to the age of
twenty-three. Then, on December 25, 1873, he married Sophia Simon. Mrs. Ditmars was born in
DeKalb County, Indiana, January 30, 1845, a daughter of Peter and Louisa (Fair)
Simon. Her mother was born in Columbiana County, Ohio. The were
married after they came to DeKalb County, Indiana, and settling in Butler
Township they lived there the rest of their lives. They were members of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church. Mrs. Ditmars was reared in that faith. Mr.
and Mrs. Ditmars started life on a scale of utmost simplicity. They built a
house in the midst of the woods and added to their comforts and conveniences as
they could afford them. Farming has been his lifelong pursuit, and besides
raising crops for forty years or more he has cleared away many acres of land and
developed a good farm. His present
place comprises 100 acres. Mr. and Mrs. Ditmars had
five children. Four are still living: Silas G., owns part of the old Simon farm
in DeKalb County; Sidney also lives in DeKalb County; Treat S. is a farmer at
home; and James T. farms in DeKalb County. Mr. Ditmars is a member of the United
Brethren Church and a Republican in politics. Swan Twp
Engel & Co., clothing and merchant tailors. This firm comprises two business
men of long and successful experience. Joseph Kaufmann came to Noble County in
the spring of 1856, locating at Ligonier, when he embarked in business with
Strauss Bros., under firm name of Strauss & Kaufmann, dealers in clothing
and general merchandise, which association lasted until the fall of 1864, when
he went to New York and remained in business until 1880. He formed a partnership
in Kendallville in 1862 with Moses Jacobs, under firm name of Kaufmann &
Jacobs, which business was conducted by Jacobs until 1869. The firm of Engel
& Co. was formed in 1867, when Mr. Kaufmann became connected with J. Engel,
in the clothing, gents’ furnishing, and merchant tailoring business, with Mr.
Engel as the managing partner. They carry a large and extensive stock and do a
successful business. Mr. Kaufmann returned in 1880 and settled upon his farm,
consisting of 160 acres of finely improved land, located near Kendallville, and
is also giving his attention to his business connection in the city. J. Engel
became a resident of Kendallville in 1865, when he began his business career
with the firm of Kaufmann & Jacobs, with whom he remained two years. He then
became a partner with Mr. Kaufmann in their present business, to which he has
since devoted his attention, and the extended trade that the firm enjoys is the
result of his wise and judicious management. He is a Council member of the
Masonic Order, and a citizen of worth and progress . One of the leading features
of this establishment is the merchant tailoring department, in which they have
established an extended trade. They carry a splendid line of piece goods, and
have in their employ a practical cutter, thereby enabling them to turn out
stylish and well-fitting garments. In all departments this firm will be found to
be among the leaders. The firm was dissolved February 13, 1882 (since the above
notice was put in type), and the business is now carried on solely by Jonas
Engle. City of Kendallville
Engle family – Although not the first settlers of Noble County,
were among the early ones, becoming prominent men by their long life of
usefulness, they deserve appropriate mention in the history of Noble County.
Peter Engle (deceased) was born September 26, 1790, in York County, Penn., and
when three years of age moved with his father, Justus Engle, to Frederick
County, Md., where he was reared and educated.
His early manhood was passed in farming and teaming.
During the war of 1812, he was drafted, and served a few months in the
year 1814, as Orderly Sergeant. He married Barbara Mentzer February 26, 1824,
and in 1833 came to that part of Richland (now included in Morrow) County, Ohio,
and engaged in farming. In 1852, Mr. Engle emigrated to Noble County, where his
sons, Samuel and Washington, had preceded him.
He located in Jefferson Township, Section 36, where he took up 120 acres
of land, but in 1858 sold forty acres. He
was and energetic man, honest, conscientious, and one who commanded the respect
and esteem of all. He died September 29, 1868. Mrs. Engle, his wife, was born
July 1, 1798, in Frederick County, Md., and she died in Noble County, October 3,
1876. Mr. and Mrs. Engle had eight children – Washington, born November 27,
1824; Samuel, July 9, 1826; Drucilla E., August 18, 1828; Ezra, October 6, 1830;
Jesse, July 21, 1833; Adam, December 27, 1836; Catharine, August 15, 1838, and
John, March 3, 1840. The latter’s death occurred near Vicksburg, in August,
1863, while in the service of his country.
He enlisted in the fall of 1862, in the One Hundredth Regiment, Company
E, and served faithfully until his death.
“Soldier rest ! thy warfare o’ver,
Sleep the sleep that knows no breaking;
Dream of battle-fields no more,
Days of danger, nights of waking.”
Drucilla Engle married John C. Morgan, and they now
reside in Morrow County, Ohio. Ezra married Hannah Favinger, moved to Michigan,
and there lives in Eaton County. The
subjoined sketches are of those that yet reside in
Washington Engle’s birth occurred in Frederick
County, Md., where he resided until nine years of age, when he came with his
parents to Ohio. October 1, 1854, he married Miss Sarah Sigler, and came to
Noble County, where he had previously purchased a farm.
He now owns 108 acres of fine farming and grazing land on Section 36, in
Jefferson Township, where he resides. They have one son – Amos, who married
Mary A. Keller, and lives with his parents.
Mr. and Mrs. Washington Engle are members of the Lutheran Church.
Samuel Engle was married, September 6, 1852, in
Morrow County, Ohio, to Susann Sigler, sister of his brother
Washington’s wife. They had two sons – John W. and George W.
Samuel and Washington Engle emigrated to Noble County together, in 1847,
and for a year worked for Christian Foster, clearing land.
They then went back to Morrow Count, Ohio, and married.
Samuel Engle and wife moved again to Noble County in 1852, where they
have since resided. They own 108
acres adjoining Washington Engle on the north.
He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Jesse Engle married Sarah Prouty, in 1860, and their
children number seven – Franklin, Adell, Jason, Wilbert and Albert (twins),
Arthur and Edward. Albert and Arthur are dead.
The mother died August, 5, 1879, and July 19, 1880, Mr. Engle married his
present wife, Lucina McClurg. Jesse Engle turned his attention to saw-milling in
his earlier years, and was a first class sawyer.
He now owns 146 acres of good land in the northeastern part of Green
Township, and has held the Township office of Trustee.
Adam Engle learned the carpenter and joiner’s trade, and worked at that with success a number of
years. He has since turned his
attention to farming. He owns eighty acres of land near Jesse Engle’s farm,
and 160 acres in Kansas. He was
married, November 2, 1862, to Miss Mahala Prouty, and they have two children –
Ina and Marshall. The sons of Peter
Engle all began life at the age of twenty-one, with little or no means at their
command. Imbibing considerable of
the energy and determination of their father, they went to work, and to-day are
wealthy and influential citizens, and stanch Democrats.
They have displayed considerable enterprise in the support of all
laudable public enterprises, and are progressive citizens.Green Twp
Adam Engle, deceased, was born in Lancaster County, Penn,
December 19, 1776. At about the age of sixteen, he went with his parents to West
Virginia, and was married about the year 1802 to Miss Eve Hoffman, a native of
Virginia, born December 27, 1784. Soon after, they emigrated to Ross County,
Ohio, thence to Pickaway County, same State, where they were early settlers, and
in the town of Circleville, Mr. Engle built the first shingle-roof house, and
was engaged in farming and coopering until about 1821, when he moved to Hocking
County, Ohio, continuing in the same employment. Having lost his property by
indorsing for others, in April 1832, Mr. Engle and wife, with a family of six
children, accompanied by the families of Hostetter, Haines and others, started
for Indiana, where they arrived on Perry’s Prairie on the 6th of
May, and proceeded to build a rude cabin, no nails nor sawed boards being used
in its construction. In the fall of 1832, he built a cabin on Section 33, where
he resided until his death. In this
edifice, the first court was held. Mr. Engle was one of the very earliest
pioneers of the county, and one fashioned with his own hands. Oftentimes the
little settlement were scarce of provisions, and fish were procured from the
Elkhart River, and game from the forests to supply food.
The little band brought with them to this county gearing for a saw-mill
that they soon succeeded in getting in running order, it being the first
constructed in the township. Mr. and Mrs. Engle both died in this township; his
death occurred July 26, 1847, and hers August 1, 1862; they were members of the
Lutheran Church, and a short sketch of their children is subjoined:
Sophia, the widow of Henry Kline, is now a resident of Perry Township;
they came from Fairfield County, Ohio, to this township about 1837, where Mr.
Kline’s death occurred. William
Engle is residing in Michigan. Henry Engle came to this township in 1833, and
resided here until his death in 1874. Joseph Engle is a resident of Ohio. Mary
married Mr. Schlotterback, and died in this township in 1856. Elizabeth who
married a Mr. Coleman, died in 1875. Phoebe married Joseph Bradford and after
his death became Mrs. John Squires. She died in June, 1862, in Perry township.
John Engle came here with his parents, subsequently removing to Iowa, where he
died in 1856. George Engle is a
resident of Ohio, and Andrew Engle of this township in April, 1859. Perry Twp
Engle Andrew was born in Hocking County, Ohio, February 6, 1822. When ten years old, he
accompanied his parents to this township, with which he has since been
identified. November 26, 1847, he
married Ann R. Conrad, and soon after commenced farming in Section 33. In 1854,
he moved to Section 28, where he is now located.
Mr. Engle has experienced at the phases of pioneer life, and has assisted
materially in the advancement and progress of Perry township. He owns 160 acres
of well-improved land, and is a thorough farmer; has served as Township Assessor
two years. Mrs. Engle is a native of Wood County, Va., born March 10, 1819. The
have five children living, viz: Sherman B., Isabell, J. C. Fremont, and Wirten
and Clebren, twins. Perry Twp
Engle SB, son of Andrew and Ann R. (Conrad) Engle, was born in
Perry Township. His parents were there engaged in farming, and came at an early
day. The subject’s younger days were associated with farm life, and his
educational facilities were up to the standard, which sufficiently warranted him
in teaching school during the winters. He
officiated three years as a preceptor in the public schools at Ligonier, to
which place he came in 1877, where he formed a matrimonial alliance with Miss M.
E. Myers, who was a resident of Illinois at the time of her marriage, but
originally came from Ohio.
Hanlon Frank, is a former, trustee of Green Township of Noble County,
and is one of the best known men in that community. For many years he was a
successful teacher, and some of his most loyal friends are his old pupils. He
has also been a farmer, and is now giving most of his time to the management of
his place in section 2 of Green Township. On
the farm where he now lives he was born, August 8, 1866, son of James and Mary
(Hendricks) Hanlon. His parents were both natives of Pennsylvania. His father
was born in Allegheny County and came to Noble County, Indiana, in 1856, grew up
here and married, then developed the land where his son now lives into a good
farm. The parents were both active
members of the Summit Methodist Episcopal Church, and in politics the father was
a democrat. There were three
children: William, who died at the age of thirteen months; Frank; and Warren,
who died when twelve years of age. Frank
Hanlon while reared in a rural environment and having experience from early
boyhood in the duties of the farm, acquired a liberal education apart from the
opportunities presented by the local district schools. He attended the Albion
Normal School and also the Methodist College at Fort Wayne. He taught his first
term of school in 1884, thirty-five years ago, and there was probably not a year
in which he did not give several months or more of teaching until 1907.
He then gave up the profession in order to take complete supervision of
the home farm, but in the winter taught a term of school. He has well cultivated
farm of 160 acres, and he is a thorough and systematic farmer.
In the fall of 1908 Mr. Hanlon was elected trustee of Green Township, and
filled that office to the satisfaction of all concerned for six years.
He is a democrat, and he and his wife are members of the Methodist
Episcopal Church. He is a trustee, steward an superintendent of the Sunday
school. September 5, 1889, he married Margaret J. McCoy, who was born in Green
Hutchins Jonas M has lived most of his life in Noble County. Farming has
absorbed his energies and has given him the substantial prosperity he now
enjoys. At the same time he had
taken an interest and helpful part in all commercial affairs, including the
church and educational interests, and is still giving his time to the operation
of his farm in section 2 of Wayne Township, on rural route No. 1 out of
Hutchins was born in Section 2 of Wayne Township, May 21, 1852. His parents were
Roscoe and Susie (Stahl) Hutchins. Roscoe Hutchins was born in Knox County,
Maine, March 8, 1831. His father Henry Hutchins, took his family from Maine to
Ohio in 1834, locating near Fostoria, where he lived and died.
His children were Roscoe, Charles, Franklin, Lydia A. and Almetia. The
son Franklin was a Union soldier and was killed in the great battle of
Chickamauga. Roscoe Hutchins grew to maturity in
Seneca County, Ohio, attended the common schools there, and soon after his
marriage brought his bride to Indiana, in 1851, locating in Wayne Township,
Noble County. He lived the rest of
his life in Section 2 of that township, from which community he went out when
the Civil was raging as a member of
Company K, 46th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and though he was on
constant duty for three years he was never wounded.
At the close of the war he rejoined his family in Noble County, and
thereafter was a successful farmer. He
was a democrat in politics. Of his children, six in number, two are still
living, Jonas M and Lydia Ann Eliza, the latter being the wife of George R.
Lovett, a farmer in LaGrange County, Indiana. The deceased children are: Delcena, who married Frank Bower and died at the age of twenty-four; Franklin,
who died when two years old; Jerome D., who died at the age of twenty-one; and
Henry, who died when fifty-five years old. Jonas M.
Hutchins spent his early life on the home farm in Wayne Township, and while
there put in the usual time attending the district schools. He was with his
parents to the age of twenty-one, and earned his way by contributing his labors
to his father. He also worked as a
farm hand by the month, and gradually accumulated enough to enable him to buy
his first farm, consisting of fifty-four acres.
He did well in handling that land and has since increased it by eighty
acres, giving him a well proportioned and arranged farm of a hundred and
thirty-four acres, highly improved and well stocked. Mr.
Hutchins married for his first wife Opal Myers. She was the mother of two
children: Bessie F., wife of Clarence Simon, and Sterling, a graduate of the common schools and now living at
South Milford. For his second wife Mr. Hutchins married Ida May Randal. To this
marriage were also born two children: Wava B., a graduate of the common schools,
and also a student at the European Schools of Music, Ft. Wayne, Indiana, is the
wife of Roy C. Green; Audrey S., a graduate of South Milford High School class
of 1917, is the wife of Fred C. Zimmerman. The family are members of the
Evangelical Church. Mr. Hutchins is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias Lodge
at Kendallville, being a past chancellor and a member of the Grand Lodge.
He has filled the office of justice of the peace in his precinct
for the past ten years, and has gained much esteem in his community for
his impartial handling of the various cases tried before him. He is very active
in his church, and is a democrat in politics. Wayne Twp
Kimmell Claude is a prominent representative of a
numerous family of that name in Noble County, and for a number of years has been
successfully engaged in general farming and stock raising on a large place in
He was born in York Township of the same county June 24, 1879, son
of Orlando and Jane (White) Kimmell. Claude was the youngest in a rather large
family. He grew up on the old farm, attended district schools. He also for two
years attended Hillsdale College, Hillsdale, Michigan, and then took a business
course at Indianapolis, Indiana. He
lived at home until his marriage. In August, 1909, Miss Hannah
Kiester became his wife. Mrs. Kimmell is a woman of thorough education
She is a daughter of John
and Barbara (Moore) Kiester.She
was born and reared in Washington Township, attended the district schools there,
is a graduate of the State Normal School and holds a life certificate as a
teacher. She was a teacher both in
the common hand high schools before her marriage. They have two children: Anna
May, born December 18, 1910, and Claude A., born August 14, 1917. In this large
family of Kimmells in Noble County, Claude A. happens to be the only grandson
bearing the name Kimmell. Mr.
Kimmell is farming on an extensive scale, and has a total of 640 acres under his
control and management. He breeds
and raises all kings of livestock.
He is a stockholder in the State Bank at Kimmell, is a
republican and a member of Albion Lodge No. 97, Free and Accepted Masons.
McCoy William is
one of the oldest residents of Green Township of Noble County, and has put in
half a century of industrious and productive years as a farmer there.
He is still living on his old homestead, the south half of the southeast
quarter of Section 14.
Mr. McCoy was born in Beaver County, Pennsylvania, February 8,
1838, member of an old and prominent family of Western Pennsylvania.
His parents were Isaac and Sara (Woods) McCoy. Isaac McCoy was a son of
James and Rachel (Manor) McCoy. James McCoy was born in Scotland and came to
the colonies and fought as an American soldier in the Revolutionary war.
He spent the rest of his life in Pennsylvania. Isaac McCoy also lived all
his years in Beaver County. He was a democrat and later a republican.
He was twice married. By his first wife there were fifteen children, and
five by the second.
There are two still living of the first group an done of the
second. The first two are John
and William McCoy. William McCoy was fourteenth among his mother’s large
family. He grew up on a farm and had a common school education, and lived in his
home locality until he came to Indiana.
July 21, 1864, he married Harriet P. Irons, of Beaver County,
Pennsylvania, where she was born August 26, 1843. For eight months after their
marriage Mr. and Mrs. McCoy lived on the old McCoy farm and on March 17, 1866,
arrived in Noble County, Indiana, and settled on the land where they now live in
peace and prosperity. Mr. McCoy put
in many years of hard work, clearing away the woods, ditching and draining, and
is largely responsible for the perfect tillage and valuable improvements which
his farm now has. Mr. and Mrs. McCoy had eleven children, two of whom died
in infancy. The nine still living are: James W., who married Rebecca Bear and
lives in Allen Township of Noble County; Scott, of Swan Township; Margaret J.,
wife of Frank Hanlon, of Green Township; Murray A., of Whitley County, Indiana;
Milo A.,; Sarah J., wife of Ira Craig; Rosa., wife of David Richards;
Dessie E., wife of Edward Richards; Pearl E., wife of Charles Summers, of
Mr. and Mrs. McCoy are active members of the Hopewell Presbyterian
Church, and he has served his church as a deacon.
In politics he is a republican. Green Twp
McKinley William In the years to come historians in writing of
the period of the great war will not give due credit to the important part
played by those who through their industry and experience made possible the
control of the warring nations by furnishing a sufficient amount of food. It is
now generally recognized that hunger foments more discontent and consequent and
willing to let existing conditions continue.
The farmers of the United States have nobly risen to meet the demand of
the world for foodstuffs, and Indiana occupies a foremost place among the states
in agricultural supremacy. This enviable place has been gained entirely through
the efforts of its farmers, and of them Steuben County has furnished its full
quota, one of them being William McKinley, of Scott Township.
William McKinley was born in Ashland County, Ohio, October 10 , 1856, a
son of William McKinley, and grandson Samuel McKinley, the latte being a native
of Ireland. The elder William McKinley was born in Juniata County Pennsylvania,
and he was a second cousin of President William McKinley. When he was still a
boy his parents moved to Ohio, and there he was reared. In the fall of 1862 he
moved to Jackson Township, DeKalb County, Indiana, and remained there until
1887, when he became a resident of Butler Township, DeKalb County, Indiana, and
there he died in 1896. He was first married to Mary Shinniman, and they had
three children, Bell, Benjamin and Adam. After the death of his first wife he
married Sarah Romine, born in Johnson Township, LaGrange County, Indiana, and
they became the parents of the following children: Ross, James, Samuel (who was
drowned at the age of twelve years), Frank, William, Steve, Almindo and Almeda,
twins, Jane, Louise and Alexander. William
McKinley, whose name heads this review, was reared in Jackson Township, DeKalb
County, where he attended the public schools, and having learned the principled
of farming from his father he started in that line of endeavor after attaining
his majority, first in Jackson Township, but in 1881, moving to Butler Township
in the same county, he remained there until 1889, at which time he went to Union
Township, DeKalb County. After eight years in the latter township he moved to
his father’s old farm, and took care of his mother until her death two years
later. He then bought a farm in
Jackson township, DeKalb County, on which he lived for seventeen years, leaving
it in 1917 and selling the farm to buy one in Pleasant Township, Steuben County.
In February, 1919, he sold at a profit his property in Pleasant Township, and
bought his present farm, of eighty-one acres in section 18, Scott Township,
where he is now doing general farming and stock raising.
In 1888 Mr. McKinley was united in marriage to Miss Etta Swank, a
daughter of George and Minerva (Woodring) Swank, farming people of Jackson
Township, DeKalb County, Indiana.
Mrs. McKinley was one in a family as follows:
Anna, Etta, William, Ella Myrtle, John and Maude. Mr. and Mrs. McKinley
became the parents of children as follows: Thomas Franklin, who is deceased; and
Milo, who married Clara Beebe, and has one son, Robert J. Mr. and Mrs. McKinley
are very well and favorably known in the several communities in which they have
lived, and although newly come to Scott Township, they have already established
themselves in the confidence of their neighbors. The success which has
accompanied Mr. McKinley in his former efforts promises equal prosperity in his
new locality, and he is planning some very desirable improvements on this
property, which will add to its value and perhaps furnish new ideas to his
associates in the agricultural line. While his private affairs have hitherto
absorbed all his time so that he has had no opportunity to enter public life,
Mr. McKinley is to good a citizen not to be interested in local matters and to
give the best element his hearty support in every particular.
Moore John M is one of the widely known citizens of Noble County, spent
many years of his life as a practical farmer, but for the last twenty years has
been in the sawmill and lumber business at Cromwell, and is now head of the M.
Moore & Company, dealers in lumber and building material and
coal. Mr. Moore was born three miles southwest of Cromwell in Sparta
Township, November 25, 1856, son of Joseph and Mary (Airgood) Moore. His father,
a native of New Jersey, came west to Noble County, Indiana, at the age of
sixteen, grew up and married here, and then settled in Section 19 of Sparta
Township. Later he acquired a farm of 162 acres in Turkey Creek Township of
Kosciusko County, and lived there until the death of his wife. He afterward
married a second time, and spent his last years at Cromwell. By his first wife
he was the father of nine children, two of whom died young. Those still living
includes: Emeline, widow of John S. Shock; Maria, wife of Allen Wright, of
Syracuse, Indiana; Almina, wife of Charles Lowner, of Syracuse; Etta, wife of
Rev. N. J. Myer, of Denver, Colorado; and Minnie, wife of William Grider, of
Sparta Township. John M. Moore
attended the schools near his father’s home and had the usual training and
experience of an Indiana farm boy. He south no particular interest or enterprise
outside of farming until 1898, when he left the country and moved to Cromwell.
Here he established and conducted a lumber yard and sawmill, and continued it as
an individual business under his own name until January 1914, when he associated
his son-in-law with him. They carry
a large stock and have taken pains to be in a position to supply every demand
for building material and similar commodities required by their community.
Mr. Moore married Nettie Snyder. He had the misfortune to lose his
wife in August, 1914. She was the mother of five children: Elvin C., a business
man of Hartford City, Indiana; Ethel,wife of Calvin Seymour; Freeman C., who lives on the old farm; Hazel
and Mabel, twins, the former the wife of Roy Eaton, and the latter the wife of ForrestHenney, of Avilla, Indiana. On January 30, 1919, Mr. Moore married
Minnie Bentz, of Turkey Creek Township, Kosicusko County. He is affiliated with
the Masonic fraternity, the Knights of Pythias and Independent Order of Odd
Fellows, and is a past grand and past chancellor of the Knights of Pythias.
Politically he is a republican. Besides his chief business Mr. Moore is a
stockholder in the Sparta State Bank. Cromwell
Pieper William has for many years been one of the most industrious and
capable farmer citizens of Noble County. His
life has been productive in many ways, and among men in whom the people have
confidence and who carry into private and public life every mark of esteem
perhaps no one is better known than Mr. Pieper, who has been successful as a
farmer and has held many of the offices of trust in his county. He
was born in Westphalia, Germany, November 15, 1847, son of Casper and Elizabeth
His mother died in Germany, and his father spent his last years in the
United States. William Pieper grew up in his native land and lived there to the
age of twenty. His education was the result of attending the common schools to
the age of sixteen. After that he spent four years selling hardware on the road
during the winter seasons and helping his father on the farm in summer.
He pursued this business so energetically that he was able to accumulate
about $1,000. With this capital, which made him a rather wealthy
immigrant, he started on August 5, 1868, for his future home in the United
States. He was nineteen days on the ocean and landed at Baltimore October 5,
1868, and soon afterward arrived in Kendallville and from there went to Avilla,
in which locality he has lived now for half a century. The first three months he
was employed as a farm laborer, and then bought eighty acres three miles
northeast of Avilla. There he built
his first home in the county, and two years later he married Miss Rosa Vogeding.
She was born at Dayton, Ohio.
Mr. and Mrs. Pieper lived on their farm near Avilla for forty-four years,
and then moved to his present place, where he has 160 acres in Allen Township
and also owns a business house in Avilla. Mrs.
Pieper died September 7, 1917, after thirty-five years of married companionship.
Five of her children still living: Henry E., who graduated from
Valparaiso College, taught in Noble County and for seven years was a teacher in
the Philippines, and is now teacher of Spanish at Valparaiso; Frank J., who is a
hay inspector with the United States government at Toledo, Ohio; William, now
living at Washburn, Wisconsin; Charles J., a graduate of high school and of
Wabash College, was for four years a teacher in the University School at Chicago
Heights and is now a chemist in Government service at Washington; and Lillie, a
graduate of the Kendallville High School and keeping up the home for her father.
Mr. and Mrs. Pieper also took into their household an adopted
child, Hilda Heckman. Mr. Pieper and family were members of the Catholic
Church at Avilla.
He is a democrat in politics.
In 1884 he was elected trustee of Allen Township, and gave a competent
direction to his official affairs
for six years. He was elected a
member of the County Council and served four years.
For nine years, three successive terms, he was a county commissioner of
the Middle District of Noble County. Allen
Simon V. Clare is the present
trustee of Swan Township, Noble County, and his official position is only a sigh
and symbol of his general business and social standing in that community, where
he has spent most of his life as a very successful and progressive farmer.
Mr. Simon was born at Goshen, Indiana, February 25, 1868,
a son of Charles and Caroline (Perry) Simon. His family, especially on his
mother’s side, is identified with the earliest pioneer period of Noble County.
Caroline Perry was born in section 36 of Swan Township when all that district
was a wilderness. Charles Simon was
born in Columbiana County, Ohio, in 1838 and was ten years of age when his
parent moved to Indiana and settled in Sway Township. V. Clare Simon was six
weeks old when his grandmother brought him to Noble County. He was educated in
the district schools and began farming as soon as he reached his majority.
On February 25, 1895, he married Mary E. Jarrett. They then settled on
their present place in Swan Township. Mr. and Mrs. Simon have three living
children. One son, Raymond P., is
deceased. Ina is the wife of Don
Brown; Walter is a high school
student and Grace is also in the local high school. The family are members of
the Lutheran Church and Mr. Simon was for twenty-two years on the church
council. Since early manhood he has always taken an
interest in the republican party. He served as a member of the Advisory Board
and was elected trustee of Swan Township in 1914.
He entered upon his official duties in January, 1915, and his first term
was of such constructive value and meant so much to the welfare of the local
schools and other interest entrusted to his charge he had the satisfaction of
being returned to the office for another four year term on November 5, 1918.
Mr. Simon looks after a good farm of 149 acres, is also a
stockholder in the Mutual Telephone Company, and is agent for the Farmers Mutual
Insurance Company of Noble County. Swan Twp
Stump Noah S For
nearly forty years the Stump family have been factors in the agricultural
development and business and civic enterprise of
Washington Township in Noble County. Noah S. Stump, who came to the
locality when he was a boy, is a farm owner, farmer and stock raiser, in Section
22. He was born in Jackson Township
of Elkhart County, Indiana, December 7, 1873, son of Noah and Maria (Heltzel)
Stump, the former a native of Canada and the latter of Pennsylvania. The Stump
and Heltzel families came to Indiana in early days and Noah and Maria
were married here, after which they settled
four and a half miles southwest of Paris, Indiana, and from there in 1880, after
selling their farm, went to the western frontier in Nebraska, but after a brief
experience returned to Indiana and then bought land in Washington Township of
Noble County. Both parents spent the rest of their lives in this county, where
the father died in 1912 and the mother in May, 1917. They were active members of
the River Brethren Church. A brief record of their large family of twelve
children is as follows: Daniel D., a former county commissioner of Noble County;
Anna, deceased; Adam, of Washington Township; Susan of Kosciusko County; Mary,
wife of Marion S. Weigel, of Washington Township; John B., of Washington
Township; Fannie, wife of Lewis C. Hontz; Noah S.; Frank, of Monroe, Michigan;
Levi, deceased; James of Columbia City; and George, of Washington Township.
Noah S. Stump was seven years old when his parents came to Washington
Township, and in addition to the advantages of the district schools attended the
Tri-State College at Angola and has a term or so of teaching to his credit.
On December 30, 1899, he married Aldine Hontz. She was born in Noble
County, August 26, 1872, and is a daughter of Jacob Hontz. Mr. and Mrs. Stump
have three children: Earl, a graduate of the common schools and with three years
of attendance at high school, is unmarried and is still at home; Jennie is a
graduate of the common schools and attending high school; and Paul is till in
the district school.
Mrs. Stump is a member of the Baptist Church. He is past
grand of Lodge No. 722 of the independent Order of Odd Fellows, is a member of
the Grand Lodge, and is past chief patriarch of the Encampment. Both he and his
wife are members of the Rebekahs and she is a past grand of the order. He is
also affiliated with Cromwell Lodge No. 795, Free and Accepted Masons.
Politically, Mr. Stump is a Democrat. The
farm which he conducts with so much profit comprises of 147 acres. One phase of
his efforts there is the breeding of registered hogs. He is a stockholder and
director in the Sparta State Bank at Cromwell and is also a stockholder in the
Farmers National Life Insurance Company.
Surfus Carl A is one of the younger business farmers of Noble County, has been very
successful in handling land, crops and livestock and is also one of the most
influential in the public affairs of Noble Township. His
home is a half mile north of Wolf Lake. He was born on a farm adjoining his
present home December 31, 1881, a son of E. L. and Anna J. (Clark) Surfus.
His father was born in Iowa and his mother in Ohio. Both the Clark and
Surfus families came to Noble Township and settled in the woods, and both
families have contributed much of the labor by which the present day
improvements have been brought about. Mr.
and Mrs. E. L. Surfus had two children, Carl A. and Stanley L., the latter of
Fort Wayne, Indiana. Carl A. Surfus grew up on a farm near Wolf Lake.
He attended high school at Wolf Lake, and lived at home and acquired a
practical knowledge of farming before he was ready to start out on his own
account. He married Lottie Kiester,
of Noble Township. She is also a graduate of the Wolf Lake High School. Mrs.
Surfus is on of a large family of seven daughters and three sons, all living but
one. This interesting family is named briefly as follows:
Anna, wife of E. L. Prickett, former clerk of Noble County, and now
living in Albion; Martha, wife of C. E. Butts, of Sparta Township; Nancy,
deceased wife of C. H. Bender; J. T., of Washington Township; Hannah, wife of
Claude Kimmell, of Sparta Township; Mary, wife of Charles Beers; Lee, of
Washington Township; George, of Noble Township; Lottie, Mrs. Surfus, and Ruth,
wife of M. J. Beers, of Perry Township. After
his marriage Mr. Surfus located on the farm where he now lives and has eighty
acres under a high state of improvement and cultivation. He buys and feeds the
Polled Angus cattle and also the Durhams, and is regarded as a man of special
ability and wisdom in livestock husbandry. He is also a stockholder in the Wolf
Lake State Bank. Mr. and Mrs. Surfus
have three children: Claude E., born in 1910; Lora Belle, born in 1914 and Lucile,
born 1917. Mr.
Surfus is a democrat in politics and was one of the youngest township trustees
ever elected in Noble Township. He was only twenty-six years old when he was
chosen to that responsible office, and the four years he remained as incumbent
fully justified the expectations of his friends and supporters.
SwankCarl J, though not yet thirty
years of age, is one of the independent business men of Northeast Indiana, and
is active head of the firm Swank & Company, proprietors of two first class
furniture and undertaking establishments at Hudson and Ashley.
Mr. Swank, who is a graduate embalmer and a man whose ability is greatly
appreciated in his profession, was born near Ligonier in Noble County, Indiana,
September 12, 1890, a son of Jerome and Almira (Rentfrow) Swank. His
father was born near Ligonier, and spent his active life on a farm there. He
died in 1893. The mother is now living in Hudson, Indiana. They were married in
Noble County and both were active members of the Methodist Church. In the family
were two sons and one daughter, Grover, a barber at South Milford, Indiana; Carl
J.; and Gertrude, wife of William Marshall of Noble County.
Carl J. Swank lived on the home farm until he was sixteen years of age.
He attended the Topeka High School, and for four years followed the trade of
barber, In 1910 he graduated from the Clark Embalming School at Cincinnati and
at once returned to Hudson, where he followed his profession for four years. He
then bought out the business of which he is proprietor. He is affiliated with
the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Hudson and also the Knights of Pythias
and in politics is a democrat. He and his wife are members of the Methodist
Episcopal Church. He married Esther
M. Bidwell, whose former home was near Rome City in Noble County. Their two
children are June Adel, born in 1913, and Wendall, born in 1918.
Warner Jesse is one of the enviable citizens of Noble County,
possessor of an ample farm, and has regulated his life and affairs in conformity
with the best standards of citizenship. The farm
where he now lives was the scene of his birth on October 8, 1856. It is one of
the oldest farms in one continuous ownership in Noble County. The Warner family
in pioneer times moved West from New York State to Michigan, and later came to
Indiana. They journeyed up the
Maumee River on a boat which was urged against the sluggish current by poles,
and after landing they made their way to Fort Wayne on horseback. They reached
Fort Wayne in 1836, when there was only a few buildings in the city. The
grandfather for a time worked in an old tavern at Fort Wayne and later moved to
Noble County, locating near where Jesse Warner now lives.
He built a little shack in the woods, and the grandparents spent the rest
of their days in Swan Township. Jesse Warner is a
son of Coradon and Lydia (Simon)Warner. His father was a native of Genessee County, New York, and
his mother in Ohio. His father
spent all his life on the old farm in Noble County.
He and his wife were members of the Lutheran Church and he was a Republican.
Of eight children only two are now living, Jesse and Losina. The latter
is the wife of Dr. William Adair, of Idaho. Jesse Warner grew up on the old farm, attended the
common schools, and for thirty-five years or more has industriously cultivated
and managed the land which was his father’s before him. He has 130 acres in
one body and strictly as a farmer he has provided liberally for all the needs of
the family. April
4, 1881, he married Sarah Gillet. They are the parents of the following
children: Floyd, a graduate of the
high school and of the Huntington Business College, formerly an employee of the
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad and now at home; Odeyne, a graduate of Ferris
Institute and a teacher; Jessie, a graduate of the LaOtto High School and also a
teacher; and Fern, who is a teacher. Mrs. Warner was also engaged in educational
work before marriage. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church and in
politics Mr. Warner is a Republican. Swan
Weimer Samuel Representing an old and honored family name in Noble
Township, Samuel Weimer has lived there all his life, and the manner in which he
has conducted his private affairs and the stanch character he has exhibited in
all his life’s relations make him worthy of all the esteem and honors paid
him. His farm home is a mile south
and quarter of a mile east of Avilla. He
was born in Allen Township, November 29, 1862, son of Solomon and Catherine (Berkes)
Weimer. The early history of this family shows that it was among the very
earliest settlers in Noble County. Solomon Weimer was born in Avilla,
October 15, 1841, more than three-quarters of a century ago.
His father was Peter Weimer and his grandfather Samuel Weimer, both
natives Baden Germany. Samuel
Weimer brought his family to the United States, located at Avilla, his location
being where the Catholic Church now stand.
Peter Weimer after his marriage settled in Avilla, and later owned the
farm which is now the site of the Old People’s Home.
Later he sold that and moved two miles north of Avilla, where he spent
his last years. Solomon
Weimer grew up on the farm that has since been sold as a site for the Old
People’s Home, and after his marriage located on a farm west of Avilla.
That farm he still occupied until his death, and was one of the
well-known old timers of the locality. He
died December 15, 1918. He and his wife had five children: Samuel; John, of Flag
Center, Illinois; Elizabeth, wife of Charles
Weimer; Sarah, wife of August Polk; and William, still at the home farm. Samuel Weimer grew up on a farm in Allen Township
and attended the district schools. He lived at home until he was twenty-one. He married Miss
Susanna Simon, and after their
marriage they started out as farmers on the 100-acre place where they lived
until February, 1919, when he retired and moved to Avilla, his son now
conducting the farm. Mr. Weimer besides prospering as a farmer has identified
himself with various local affairs. He
is a stockholder in the Mutual Telephone Company.
For the past twenty years he ahs been active in local affairs as a Republican.
His wife is a member of the Lutheran Church and he is one of the liberal
contributors to that denomination.
For all his material prosperity and honored position in the community Mr. Weimer
doubtless takes the greatest satisfaction of his life in the fine family of
children that has grown up around him. The oldest is Carrie, wife of Charles Schmuck,
of Jefferson Township. Leroy is a graduate of Avilla High School, of Wabash
College and of Cornell University, and is now an expert in plant pathology in
the United States Department of Agriculture.
He is married.
Nora married Joseph Anderson, of Swan Township, Noble County.
Ella is the wife of James Cramer, of Green Township, and is
a graduate of the Avilla High School. Clarence
served with the colors in the American Expeditionary Forces in France until he
returned home April 11, 1919, after one year’s service.
He was in Battery F, 135th Light Field Artillery, and was in
the October drive at the front. The
two youngest are Harold and Gerald, twins.
Gerald is married and lives in Jefferson Township, and Harold is married
and on the home farm. Allen Twp
Noble Notes: There are many
paths to the top of the mountain, but the view is always the same.